Richard,

I'd like to weigh in on this one.  Recently some solid anthropological, historical,
folklore, and African Studies work has cast doubt on whether cannibalism was really
practiced among any groups of human persons on the planet . . . barring the extreme
sado-masochistic behaviors recently in the news in Europe and the U.S.

It appears that past reports that purported to document actual cannibalism as an
acceptable practice among various tribal groups may have been the result of outside
anthropologists and ethnographers being told tall tales in the bush.

Currently, this is a loaded topic since it calls into questions much of the work of
past and current scholars.  I imagine that this will become clear over the course of
the decade.  If, in fact, it does pan out that no peoples literally practiced
cannibalism (literally eating other humans), then 'Abdu'l-Baha's comment would need to
be taken more broadly.  Of course, the science of the day affirmed such cannibalism in
Africa.

One of the problems we have in Native Studies is sifting through the past 100 plus
years of ethnographic work to determine which work is reliable, questionable,
problematic, or downright spurious.

By the way, does anyone online here remember the name of the anthropologist whose work
last year created quite a stir in the news on this topic?

All the best to everyone,

Susan

Dr. Susan Berry Brill de Ramirez, Professor of English
Bradley University, Peoria, IL 61625  U.S.A.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; (309) 677-3888; fax (309) 677-2330