Gilberto,

At 11:07 AM 12/21/2004, you wrote:
>>That seems like a really counter-intuitive juxtaposition of ideas. If the
>>scriptures are just inkblots which can mean anything, then it doesn't makes
>>sense that an authority can come in and tell you what they mean.<<

I think it indicates that, although some of the writers of the books
incorporated into the Bible apparently predicted the return of Christ, much of
the rest is subjective and guess work.

"Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour."
- words attributed to Jesus, cited: Matthew 25:13

>>On the other hand, if the authority is really an authority (like they have
>>good connections with the author) then their interpretation would at least
>>partially convey what the text *really* means (what the author had in mind).
>>At least that's in the case of scripture.<<

I don't think that texts mean anything. Authors mean something. Those who
inspire authors, including God, mean something. Interpreters mean something.

>>although this inkblot perspective is growing on me.<<

lol. To use your analogy, all structurizations, or constructions, are, IMO,
inkblots. Interpretations of those structurizations are standpoint
epistemologies (Nancy Hartsock et al.). It then comes down to whether one
accepts the authority of the person or persons holding to a particular
standpoint.

>>I still haven't thought through my opinion on it. By any chance, have you
>>seen the movie "Ghost Dog"?<<

No, but I just ordered the DVD from Amazon.

>>Okay, but aren't you willing to say that the Preterists are actually wrong?
>>Or are you saying that in some sense Christ really did return in 70 AD?<<

It is a matter of authority. I think that the historicists come closest to the
perspective taken by `Abdu'l-Baha. The full preterists are probably furthest
from His perspective.

With regards, Mark A. Foster * 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman