On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:31:16 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Perhaps I'm not being clear and not including all the background or
context for my comments. In another context, a Bahai claimed that the
Bahai faith is the *first* religion to teach gender equality. If that
is true, then the corollary is that Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc.
do NOT teach gender equality. So in some sense that is the original
claim in the background, okay?

> In a message dated 12/22/2004 10:52:20 AM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> the Bahais should say "We believe in certain
> distinctions between the roles of men and women and we believe that
> wisdom behind these rules will be apparent at some point in the
> distant future.". To just say "we believe in absolute gender equality"
> and leave it at that seems dishonest.

Scott:
> You know Gilberto, I cannot think of a single place that promotes absolute
> gender equality in the writings. The writings affirm that both man and woman
> are equal in the sight of God. The writings say over and over that genders
> have different capacities and different responsibilities.

Gilberto:
Okay. And I would say that the Quran also afirms that men and women
are equal in the sight of God. While at the same time acknowledging
different responsibilities.

So to me it would make sense to look at both religions and say "Islam
and the Bahahi faith both teach gender equality"
Or it would be consistent to say "Both Islam and the Bahai faith make
certain reasonable distinctions in roles of men and women." But to say
that the Bahahi faith teaches gender equality but Islam does not,
seems rather selective and self-serving.