On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:12:37 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a message dated 12/22/2004 9:46:05 PM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Gilberto:
> In other words, jihad includes fighting against aggressors.
>
> Doesn't collective security include fighting against aggressors?
>
> Are you saying the in the battles of Muhammad or Hussein that they
> fought against people who weren't aggressors?
>
> I mean, it seems to me that all major religions value human life. The
> Quran says "whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for
> mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever
> keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men" (5:32)
>
> So for the most part, fighting and killing is something done
> reluctantly. Individuals are fought against when they pose a threat to
> the larger group. That seems like a general principle.
>
> Peace
>
> Gilberto
> I think the battle of Muhammed and the Meccans have nothing to do with
> modern warfare. Why? Because modern warfare occurs between nations.

The war in Iraq isn't exactly between nations. And even the Bush
administration is talking about how with the "war on terror" the old
models don't apply. Al-Qaeedah isn't a nation. In any case, I'm not
totally convinced that "nation" is a morally significant category. In
violent conflicts you generally have different sides with varying
interests. If a loved one of mine dies violently I don't think I would
feel better about it if it were done by a soldier in a spiffy uniform
instead of a mafia hitman  or some "terrorist" in a beard, turban and
baggy pants.Killing is killing. And the ethical considerations are
largely the same.