On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:09:39 -0800 (PST), John Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gilberto Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Killing is killing. And the ethical considerations are
> largely the same.

> Not so sure.  There are many types of killing.

I agree. Perhaps I was unclear. I certainly agree that some kinds of
killing are unethical and some are ethical. I'm not a pacifist.  But
what I'm suggesting to you is that the ethical considerations which
made different kinds of killing ok or not ok in the time of the
prophet or the time of imam hussein are essentially the same as the
ethical considerations which make different kinds of killing ok or not
ok today.

You had said that now, warfare is basically between nations and that
this was a significant difference. I'm not convinced that this is a
significant difference. In ethical terms I'm not sure why a nation
should be any different from a very big tribe. Tribes have "natural"
citizens, they adopted citizens, they looked out for one another, some
probably dwelt in a particular area.

That's what I'm trying to get across. Makes sense?

Peace

GIlberto