Gilberto,

I wrote:
> [...]

You replied:
>>I'm not sure I follow?<<

In other words, there are eternal teachings, but the explanations given for it
in the Baha'i texts are, to my understanding, different from the common
perennialist argument.

>>But as long as you admit that there *are* eternal teachings of the prophets
>>which don't change, isn't that perennialism right there?<<

Outwardly. The problem is that proponents of the philosophia perennis generally
ground these eternal teachings in a static ontology of being. The Baha'i view,
as I understand it, replaces ontological realism with Covenant (relationships).

>>Earlier, when I've heard you or Susan object to Perennialism it seemed like
>>you were giving the impression that there were no fixed rules. That any of
>>the commandments could change. And there were no eternal laws.<<

I would never say there are no fixed rules or eternal laws. However, if they
are fixed or eternal, it is because God desires them to be that way. They are
emanations from God, not manifestations of God.

>>But the passage from Abdul Baha seems to allow for the possibility that there
>>is a core which doesn't change from prophet to prophet. The Holy of Holies.<<

I agree there is a core, however expressed, which does not change from Prophet
to Prophet.

>>I mean, am I missing something? This is saying that the fundamental basis,
>>the essnece of the laws of the various prophets does not change or alter. It
>>will never be abrogated.<<

Descriptively, the Baha'i approach is, as I see it, virtually the same as the
one used by most perennialists, including the traditionalists. Explanatorily,
there are considerable differences.

>>I mean seems pretty clear from this passage that Perennialism is basically
>>true. The only issue would be some technical detail here or there.<<

I would say outwardly true, not basically true.

With regards, Mark A. Foster * 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman