-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Ron Stephens
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 10:57 PM
To: Baha'i Studies
Subject: Re: Questions about Omniscience and related matters

" but He chose that phrase
and image to try to communicate His reality to us."

Which is what, Ron?

Susan, I have no idea."

Dear Ron,

Then I guess He didn't do a particularly good job of communicating that
reality to us.;-}

I really don't know whether to take that passage from the Lawh-i Hikmat
literally or not. It strikes me as rather specific to be simply symbolic,
but it certainly seems more plausible that Baha'u'llah had a supernatural
way of reading those books than He had a supernatural knowledge of Socrates
acquitance with the Jewish Prophets. Yet, as Firouz points out, most of the
time Baha'u'llah read books the same way you and I do. When push comes to
shove, though, revelation itself is something beyond natural law so if you
confine what God can do to that, I think revealed religion itself goes out
the window.

"Thanks for being patient with me. I know that, as you say, I amy not be
well liked or generating much sympathy by my posting style."

I'm afraid I've not been as patient as I could be. I get annoyed with two
things you sometimes do. One is refuse to give others the same level of
tolerance you want for yourself. The other is making assumptions about what
others positions are.

I can relate to your wanting a community of like-minded people. I'd like
that too. You can get that in Protestant Christianity inasmuch as those
Christians who think alike form separate denominations. We don't have that
option in the Baha'i Faith. We have to learn to get along with those who
*don't* think like we do. My own issues are slightly different from yours.
You want a religion which consistently abides by your conceptions of science
and reason. I'm not terribly concerned with that. What I *am* concerned is
that religion not interfere in scientific and scholarly investigation in the
name of some preconcieved orthodoxy. These issues may appear similiar but in
practice they are quite different. For instance, you read a sacred text and
try to make it 'fit' your understanding in terms of science and reason. When
I read a sacred text, I set that aside and try to determine what Baha'u'llah
was saying in the context of His time and place. To do otherwise would be to
violate basic historical method.

warmest, Susan