Hi, Gilberto,

At 07:47 AM 12/31/2004, you wrote:
>>Do you have any insight as to why that might be appealing?<<

Subjectively, that is a difficult question for me to answer. I have a hard time
understanding why it would *not* be appealing. However, I think that the appeal
of continuity is similar to the rationale behind the current campaign of the
United Church, "God is Still Speaking":

http://stillspeaking.com/

There are, I think, several possible responses to the continuing recognition of
the global village. (I would never say *only* two possible responses.)

One is fundamentalism or sectarianism - the desire to go back to the supposed
roots of one's own religious tradition, an imagined *simpler* time when, so the
myth does, no quite as many spiritual alternatives were present, and truth did
not seem so relative.

Another is, of course, relativism - a belief in the contextuality of truths,
cross-culturally and historically, and a desire to embrace all of them. I
suppose that many, perhaps most, of those who are attracted to the Baha'i
Faith, to Eckankar, to the Meher Baba movement, etc. are in this second
category.

>>Personally, I don't think the religion is so much about authority or that
>>individual anyway. I like religions more based on principles, like Taoism and
>>Buddhism, and I think it probably shows up in how I see the prophetic
>>religions as well.<<

For many people, religion *is* about whom (and what) one accepts.
Fundamentalists are, by definition, separatists, and they are probably furthest
to the right on a separatism scale. Inclusivists, in which category I would
place myself, and universalists are perhaps furthest to the left on that same
scale.

>>That's probably why Perennialism appeals to me. The message is more important
>>than the messenger. There are timeless principles which are more fundamental
>>than a timeless sequence of persons.<<

I suggested above that the left of this scale consisted of both inclusivists
and universalists. IMO, the Baha'i model of progressive Revelation is
inclusivist. Baha'is include the succession of divine Revelations in our
understanding of God's Covenant. However, the Baha'i model is not universal (in
the sense I am using the term here). I would place perennialism under the
universalism (rather than inclusivism) category.

>>I understand that. Bahais say there will be future prophets. Muslims say
>>there won't be future prophets. Christians seem really open to the idea that
>>there will be future "prophets"<<

Some do, but most believe that biblical references to prophets referred only to
the earliest period of the church - sometimes regarded as having ended with the
canonization of the Bible. No, or almost no, Christian denominations or sects
believe that contemporary prophets can add to the biblical canon.

>>(Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out my spirit
>>on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall
>>dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.)<<

Pentecostals generally argue that this period began in the "upper room" (Acts
2). Many other Christians believe it ended with the canonization of the Bible.

>>So in principle perhaps the Bahai faith most clearly states that future
>>prophets will be coming. But I suspect that Muslims and Christians are
>>probably more open to the continuing presence of lesser charismatic
>>individuals who can serve as guides. People in the church office of
>>"prophet", sufi shaykhs, etc.<<

I know that is not sufficient for many people.

>>Now I've totally lost track of which groups we are talking about.<<

For instance, the Nubian Islamic Hebrews I chatted with accepted the Yakub
mythology.

>>I think out of the varied and distinct African-American religious movements I
>>have the impression that there is one constellation of them which naturally
>>hangs together. The Bible-based groups, who try to follow the commandments of
>>the Torah. When you said "Hebrew Christian": I thought that's what you were
>>refering to (although perhaps without implying any particular racial
>>component).<<

There are many different groups which call themselves "Hebrew Christian." Not
all of them are evangelical (Trinitarian, etc.).

>>Many of these groups will say that the original Jews were Black and they
>>identify the children of Israel with African-Americans (or Blacks in the
>>Americas). Many of these groups call themselves "Hebrew Israelites"<<

Yes, however, my experience is that there is considerable overlap between
certain Hebrew Israelite and Black Muslim groups.

>>That could be true. But I hope you see that there is more to the Nation than
>>that. I've known of people who were "card-carrying" members of the nation but
>>who weren't necessarily literalists when it came to the doctrine or
>>mythology. There are positive aspects of it as well.<<

Yes, I have known some members of Louis Farrakhan's organization who take the
Yakub story as a metaphor. (I also have a tough time believing that Farrakhan
accepts it literally, but I might just be projecting. IMO, Farrakhan is one of
the greatest spiritual, and social, figures ever produced in the United States.
I find I agree with him on most issues.)

>>One theory I've heard is that he was actually the same person as Arnold Ford
>>who was prominent in the Black Jewish movement!<<

Interesting.

Well, I was invited by someone to attend a New Year's party, and I really
needed to leave a few minutes ago.

With regards, Mark A. Foster * 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman