On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:50:23 -0600, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Saying God CAN'T do something is "tying up his hands"
> Saying God CAN do something but in his sovereign authority and
> omnipotence chose to do something different is not "typing up his
> hands"

> Dear Gilberto,

> And do you really know of any instances where the Jews literally said this,
> or was it not their actions which essentially amounted to saying the same
> thing?

I don't know about Jews, but I think in various communities there are
some theologians who literally do put certain limitations on God and
in effect say that God has to be thus and so.

What is the original context of this anyway?

[5.64] And the Jews say: The hand of Allah is tied up! Their hands
shall be shackled and they shall be cursed for what they say. Nay,
both His hands are spread out, He expends as He pleases [...]

Actually, I found a better version of this passage translated by
Muhammad Asad (a famous convert who comes from a Jewish background)

(64) And the Jews say, "God's hand is shackled!" It is their own hands
that are shackled; and rejected [by God] are they because of this
their assertion." Nay, but wide are His hands stretched out: He
dispenses [bounty] as He wills. But all that has been bestowed from on
high upon thee [O Prophet] by thy Sustainer is bound to make many of
them yet more stubborn in their overweening arrogance and in their
denial of the truth.

And then the following note:

81 The phrase "one's hand is shackled" is a metaphorical expression
denoting niggardliness, just as its opposite-"his hand is stretched
out wide" -signifies generosity (Zamakhshary). However, these two
phrases have a wider meaning as well, namely, "lack of power" and
"unlimited power", respectively (Razi). It would appear that the Jews
of Medina, seeing the poverty of the Muslims, derided the latters'
conviction that they were struggling in God's cause and that the
Qur'an was divinely revealed. Thus, the "saying" of the Jews mentioned
in this verse, "God's hand is shackled", as well as the parallel one
in 3 : 181, "God is poor while we are rich", is an elliptical
description of their attitude towards Islam and the Muslims - an
attitude of disbelief and sarcasm which could be thus paraphrased: "If
it were true that you Muslims are doing God's will, He would have
bestowed upon you power and riches; but your poverty and your weakness
contradict your claim - or else this claim of yours amounts, in
effect, to saying that God cannot help you." This outstanding example
of the elliptic mode of expression (Tjaz) so often employed in the
Qur'an has, however, a meaning that goes far beyond the historical
circumstances to which it refers: it illustrates an attitude of mind
which mistakenly identifies Pworldly riches or power with one's being,
spiritually, "on the right way". In the next sentence the Qur'an takes
issue with this attitude and declares, in an equally elliptical
manner, that all who see in material success an alleged evidence of
God's approval are blind to spiritual truths and, therefore, morally
powerless and utterly self-condemned in the sight of God.

[end quote]

So I would say the Bahai use of the term is certainly different from
the original. And I'm not convinced it is even applicable.