Gilberto,

At 02:31 PM 1/8/2005, you wrote:
>>I'm not sure if I'm always careful to say it this way but I would say
>>"typical Muslims". Historically some past scholars (If I remember correctly
>>Ibn Taymiyya might even be in this camp) took the position that "corruption"
>>was a matter of wrong interpretations rather than changes in the text.<<

Hasn't the old Islamic teaching of perversion of doctrine all but been replaced
by perversion of the texts?

>>And is it clear that the Bahai view precludes textual changes?<<

No, my understanding is that the official Baha'i view would preclude
*intentional* perversion of the texts.

>>I thought that the Bahai writings quote many specific passages of the Bible
>>in a way which suggests they are authentic but I also thought that the
>>writings specifically say the Bible isn't as authentic as the Quran.<<

Right. Baha'u'llah's objection was to perversion of the texts, not to
perversion of doctrine.

>>And couldn't it also be that the Bahai writings use the Bible because it is
>>what Christians believe in but not necessarily *actually* affirming their
>>inspiration or authenticity or proper canonicity?<<

Inspiration is not the same as inerrancy. (I do not personally believe that any
scripture can be inerrant.)  However, Shoghi Effendi appears to have believed
in degrees of authenticity. The Qur'an is more authentic (from a Baha'i, not
necessarily an academic, viewpoint) than "the Bible," just as the actual
writings of Shoghi Effendi are more authentic than letters written on his
behalf.

With regards, Mark A. Foster • 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman