On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:49:53 -0800 (PST), John Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gilberto:
> Ok. Then if all that was vouchsafed to Bahaullah was already mentioned
> to Muhammad, I just think it makes alot more sense for me to look to
> those great Muslim interpreters, scholars, and saints to unpack the
> meaning of the Quran and the sunnah. And nothing would be lost or
> missing by doing so.

> John:
> But by only looking at the Qur'an, its interpreters, its scholars, its
> saints, etc., you will **not** know which of the verses/teachings to
> consider with the **appropriate** level of "degree, emphasis and candor.", to
> quote yourself.

John:
> In other words, Allah has directly intervened through the revelation of
> Baha'u'llah to clarify those questions, those areas of uncertainty.

Gilberto:
IF you believe that God did that through Bahaullah and that he had
that role, sure, that would end the debate. But that's a big if.

Gilberto:
But as a Muslim I can also look let myself be guided by the
interpretations of Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Al-Ghazzali, Rumi, Ibn
al-Arabi, Shah Waliullah, Maturidi, etc. and one advantage is that it
is much more clear and obvious that they are part of a common shared
Islamic tradition. It's not the case that all of their followers are
uniformly condemned as being outside the pale of Islam.

 John:
> Let me setup an analogy to explain this another way.
>
> (Setup 1) Lets say the Qur'an is the English alphabet A-Z.

OK.

> (Setup 2) Lets also say that since there are different Muslim
> interpretations, from different Muslim scholars, saints, etc., that there
> are different ways to Understand the Holy Qur'an.

Gilberto:
I suspect you might have an exagerated sense of  the extent to which
this is problematic. There is a broad consensus about important
matters. And the areas where scholars disagree generally aren't going
to be worth fighting over.

For example, just among sunnis (Ahl al sunnah wal jamaat) there are
four different interpretations of the laws, four different rites
(Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi, Hanbali) named after the founders. There may
have been aberant periods of history where these differences were more
contentious, but the norm is that followers of one school respect the
rulings of the followers of the other school as valid. They can pray
together, they can pray behind one another, they accept one another as
sunni Muslims. Some of the differences are due to slight differences
in the interpretive principles they apply to the Quran but those
differences are not worth fighting over.

This attitude even extended to theology. For sunnis there are two main
schools. Ashari and Maturidi. Different ways of understanding God,
morality, free-will, etc. Both both are considered valid.

When the scholars disagreed they didn't say "I'm the only Muslim and
you are an unbeliever". There was politeness and adab. They said "I
believe I'm right with the possibility of being wrong. I believe you
are wrong with the possibility of being right."

John:
  So, the "degree" and
> "emphasis" that the various Qur'anic verses need to be understood are not
> all that clear. -----  To fit the analogy, lets symbolize this as the Qur'an
> being little wooden blocks of the English alphabet A-Z all thrown into a
> box.  No one knows the order they are supposed to be in.

One may ask, is Z,
> B, Q, F.... the correct order?

Then the situation in Islam might be that all the scholars actually
agree about the order of the letters from
A to W, and some people think it should go X, Y, Z. But then another
group thinks it should go Z, X, Y. But the two groups agree that they
are not going to fight about it because they can still read one
another's books, and they still agree about how all the words are
spelled, and they only have minimal trouble using one another's
dictionaries.

But then the Bahai faith comes along and starts saying that the
alphabet is supposed to go A, Z, X, Q, R, B, V, T, and then throws in
some cyrillic characters in, etc.. The earlier groups had minor
disagreements among themselves, but they all can agree that this new
group is actually wrong.