In a message dated 1/17/2005 2:51:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I do not think that "the wisdom of referring the laws of society to the House of Justice" the laws of society means civil laws,
Dear Firouz,

My translation of akham-i madaniyyih here is the quite literal, though it varies slightly from the authorized translation. Akham means regulations and madaniyyah is from a root meaning city, as in Medina. The term 'civil' is derived from the Latin *civitas* meaning city.

I have not read the original Persian of this Tablet or to whhat question Abdu'l-Baha was replying. Do you have any more information?
I don't have the question he was responding to, but I have seen the Persian. That's why I translated the term as I did.

 Also you mentioned that the UHJ is a legistlative body, but in matters of religions it seems they are also an executive body, for example they can decide how the various funds and Huquq'u'llah to be spent.
Well, legislatures do usually decide the budget. ;-} However, distribution of Huquq was originally one of the functions of the Guardian which fell to the House more or less by default. It is actually the more 'secular' funds as Steve Cooney enumerates (as well as waqf), which the House was given explicit jurisdiction over. In any case,  don't see any justification for the House as exercising executive power in a Baha'i commonwealth as opposed to the religious affairs of the Baha'i community.

In K 82 Baha'u'llah is referrring to kings as the emblems of God's sovereignty for all times.
Except there is another passage where He talks about power being taken to the kings and given to the people. But that is a description of what is happening even now. I don't have any problem with the notion of kings co-existing with Baha'i institutions and certainly don't envision them giving up their thrones when they become Baha'is or even when we have a Baha'i commonwealth.  As I indicated, it is my understanding that Houses of Justice are to be legislatures. Kings could certainly continue to be the executive under such circumstances. .

At about the time of the Iranian Constitutional Revolution of 1905-6,
Abdu'l-Baha wrote that "...Constitutional Government, according to
the irrefutable text of the Religion of God, is the cause of the glory
and prosperity of the nation and the civilization and freedom of the
people." (Tablets of `Abdu'l-Baha Abbas 492) While the Kitab-e
Aqdas is not mentioned here, it seems likely that this is what
Abdu'l-Baha means by 'the irrefutable text,' i.e., that Abdu'l-Baha
considered this paragraph of the Aqdas as endorsing a democratic
government with a constitutional monarchy, at least for Iran.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. The Baha'i system is not undemocratic anymore than it is anti-monarchical.

You also quoted from Star of the West, Vol. VII, No. 15, pp. 138-139:
"Thee centre of the executive power is the government, and the legislative power lies in the hands of thoughtful and wise men ....". Further you mentioned that "... however legislative functions are given,not to learned clerics but to the elected consultative assemblies, in other words, the Houses of Justice.". I would like to ask you what makes the members of houses of justice to be "thoughtful and and wise men".

Because of the part which follows which for some inexplicable reason you just cut out:

Thus it is of the utmost importance to establish an assembly of learned men, who, being proficient in the different sciences and capable of dealing with all the present and future requirements will settle the questions in accordance with forbearance and firmness. All the civic affairs and the legislation of material laws for the increasing needs of the enlightened humanity belong to the House of Justice. This the House of Justice, will be not only a body for the legislation of laws according to the spirit and requirement of the time, but a board of arbitration for the settlement of all disputes arising between peoples. When the Universal House of Justice is organized the members will do their utmost for the realization of greater cordiality and comity amongst the nations. The Laws of Bahá'u'lláh are the unchangeable, organic laws of the Universal House of Justice. They are the very foundation upon which the structure of additional legislation is built... Again, I repeat, the House of Justice, whether National or Universal, has only legislative power and not executive power...
( Star of the West, Vol. VII, No. 15, pp. 138-139)

Note this last sentence is a reiteration of the first sentence you quoted.

You wrote:

"Since this is in a letter by one of the Guardian's secretaries, it
is not part of the Holy Writings."

They are still authoritative and it is from these that we get most of the Guardian's authoritative interpretations however. The Guardian made it absolutely clear that he reviewed all of them before they were sent out: In his own pen he stated the following:

"I wish to add and say that whatever letters are sent in my behalf from Haifa are all read and approved by me before mailing. There is no exception whatever to this rule."

This is one of the few letters in which we (meaning those of us outside the World Centre) have reference the question that was asked of the Guardian which was as follows:

"Can you make a statement which would establish the authenticity of your letters written by Ruhi or Soheil with your P.C. [sic] attached. There are still some people who continue to feel that these letters are not authorized by you and only express the personal opinions of the above writers."

 (The Universal House of Justice, 1996 Oct 22, Authentication and Authority)

While that letter was written in 1927 by all accounts he adhered strictly to that policy throughout his Guardianship.  Even when he was traveling in Europe, those letters were always forwarded to him for approval before being sent out. You might ask Dr. Ayman about this as he has a number of interesting details regarding that process. Furthermore the World Centre has in its archives, the directions which the Guardian gave to these secretaries.  To throw out these letters is to disregard nearly all of his authoritative interpretations, and thus mutilate the Cause by divorcing it from the Guardianship.

"Although the secretaries of the Guardian convey his thoughts and instructions and these messages are authoritative, their words are in no sense the same as his, their style certainly not the same, and their authority less, for they use their own terms and not his exact words in conveying his messages."
(25 February 1951 to the National Spiritual Assembly of the British Isles)

So while there might be distinctions in diction, the intent of the Guardian is conveyed in these letters. The Research Department concludes on the basis various passages on the authority of letters written on the Guardian's behalf the following:

"From the above extracts it seems fairly clear that letters written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi "related strictly to the Cause and interpretation of the teachings" constitute authoritative Bahá'í text, while any personal advice which they may contain is not binding. The Guardian's statement that he reviewed every letter written on his behalf without exception makes it clear that the authority of the letters was independent of whatever personal "sufferings" might have been caused by certain secretaries, and that there was no "delegation" whatsoever of his interpretative authority, but merely a use of secretarial assistance for his huge burden of correspondence."
 (The Universal House of Justice, 1996 Oct 22, Authentication and Authority)

"An institutional merger is quite impossible, since 'Abdu'l-
Baha explicitly laid down the voting systems for the Supreme
Tribunal and for the Universal House of Justice, and they are
different."

I see no reason that an institutional merger along the lines the Guardian suggested would be impossible. There are times when the Writings are referring to different stages along the transition from the Lesser Peace to the Most Great Peace. David Hoffman thought they would eventually become one and the same. I discussed the issue with Dr. David Ruhe on one occasion however, and he expressed a different opinion which I find quite persuasive. He insisted that the Institution of the Universal House of Justice is different from the Universal House of Justice proper the same way the Institution of the Guardianship is different from the person of the Guardian. He held that the Institution of the Universal House of Justice would consist of the tri-partite system mentioned by Shoghi Effendi; namely that there would be Supreme Tribunal, a World Executive, and the House of Justice proper which would all form part of the Institution of the Universal House of Justice. Women would only be excluded from the Universal House of Justice proper. The reason I prefer Dr. Ruhe's interpretation is that I personally think we should avoid recourse to evolutionary explanations whenever possible. Otherwise it can become a pretense for ignoring too much of the Writings.

As a side note, I've noted that the differences between David Hoffman and David Ruhe have been vastly exaggerated on the internet with David Hoffman being presented as theocrat and David Ruhe as somehow embracing the notion of the separation between religion and state. That was why I asked Dr. David Ruhe specifically about his differences with David Hoffman on this question; and as you can see their differences really didn't have that much to do with the question of whether or not the Baha'i system was theocratic.

"Another point, women cannot become members of the Universal House of Justice but they can be members of World Tribunal."

Correct, which is one of the reasons I find David Ruhe's argument to be more persuasive.

I have still another question from Susan, have  you seen any Writings to say that UHJ is infallibile on civil law legistlation?
Yes, the passage almost immediately proceeding Abdu'l-Baha's reference to the House making civil laws does that:

"Let it not be imagined that the House of Justice will take any decision according to its own concepts and opinions. God forbid! The Supreme House of Justice will take decisions and establish laws through the inspiration and confirmation of the Holy Spirit, because it is in the safekeeping and under the shelter and protection of the Ancient Beauty, and obedience to its decisions is a bounden and essential duty and an absolute obligation, and there is no escape for anyone."
As far as I know Guardian stated that His infallibility is on matters of the Faith so I suppose the infallibility of the House is also on legistlation of Baha'i laws only.
I think that is a pretty big leap, Firouz. The Guardian is making a distinction between his authoritative interpretations of the Writings and the personal advice and opinions he sometimes gave out. The House also gives out personal advice, and I suppose these not be regarded as infallible. But I know of nothing in the Writings which would suggest there is distinction in regards to the infallibility of their legislative acts. Indeed, in the above passage I just cited Abdu'l-Baha seems to suggest that all of their *decisions* are infallible. That could be hyperbole since He is speaking in the context of legislation, however.

One thing that should be kept in mind is that ultimately the authority to determine the proper relationship between these various institutions, belongs  to the Universal House of Justice itself. As the Guardian himself stated:

"Touching the point raised in the Secretary's letter regarding the nature and scope of the Universal Court of Arbitration, this and other similar matters will have to be explained and elucidated by the Universal House of Justice, to which, according to the Master's explicit instructions, all important and fundamental questions must be referred."
BA 47

Speaking more generally, the Guardian writes later:

"And as we make an effort to demonstrate that love to the world may we also clear our minds of any lingering trace of unhappy misunderstandings that might obscure our clear conception of the exact purpose and methods of this new world order, so challenging and complex, yet so consummate and wise. We are called upon by our beloved Master in His Will and Testament not only to adopt it unreservedly, but to unveil its merit to all the world. To attempt to estimate its full value, and grasp its exact significance after so short a time since its inception would be premature and presumptuous on our part. We must trust to time, and the guidance of God's Universal House of Justice, to obtain a clearer and fuller understanding of its provisions and implications." Bahá'í Administration, p. 62.

warmest, Susan