On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:03:15 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gilberto,

> At 02:52 PM 1/22/2005, you wrote:
> >>Then if anything their "sin" would be in overgeneralizing or in not seeing
> >>the particularities and differences of various religions but that is still
> >>very different from triumphalism.<<

> Failing to see differences would not in itself be triumphalistic. However, if
> one does not recognize those differences because one is committed to imposing
> a certain "essence" which comes (say) from one's own religion of philosophy,
> then one is allowing the presumed superiority, or triumph, of one's own
> religion or philosophy over those one is interpreting.

Gilberto:
It still seems to me that the act of "imposition" you are talking
about might be an act of misperception, but it doesn't imply
superiority. In fact, in the case of perennialism one is explicitly
asserting equality.

At the worst, what perennialists might be doing is romanticizing the
past. Talking about the noble savage and all that. But from the
perspective of "progressive revelation" the past is being demonized
and  those people of the past are considered savages, without
bothering to consider them particularly noble.