Gilberto:  My present-day conscience tells me that burning
people alive is brutal. I also think in the West there are
many present-day consciences who would have problems with the
Bahai rules about women, homosexuality, pre-publication
review, and the separation of church-and-state.

So where does that leave us?

In a state of moral decline.

Bearing in mind that -from my Baha'i perspective- this
Dispensation is less that 200 years old with approximately 800
years to go and reflecting on the Dispensations of the past
the greater part of humanity is still asleep.

The following is from Citadel of Faith, by Shoghi Effendi, who
describes some projections for 'America as enunciated by
Abdu'l-Baha:

"The American nation, of which the community of the Most Great
Name forms as yet a negligible and infinitesimal part, stands,
indeed, from whichever angle one observes its immediate
fortunes, in grave peril. The woes and tribulations which
threaten it are partly avoidable, but mostly inevitable and
God-sent, for by reason of them a government and people
clinging tenaciously to the obsolescent doctrine of absolute
sovereignty and upholding a political system, manifestly at
variance with the needs of a world already contracted into a
neighborhood and crying out for unity, will find itself purged
of its anachronistic conceptions, and prepared to play a
preponderating role, as foretold by 'Abdu'l-Bahá, in the
hoisting of the standard of the Lesser Peace, in the
unification of mankind, and in the establishment of a world
federal government on this planet. These same fiery
tribulations will not only firmly weld the American nation to
its sister nations in both hemispheres, but will through their
cleansing effect, purge it thoroughly of the accumulated dross
which ingrained racial prejudice, rampant materialism,
widespread ungodliness and moral laxity have combined, in the
course of successive generations, to produce, and which have
prevented her thus far from assuming the role of world
spiritual leadership forecast by 'Abdu'l-Bahá's unerring
pen -- a role which she is bound to fulfill through travail
and sorrow.  (Shoghi Effendi, Citadel of Faith, p. 126)

lovingly,  Sandra