"Abdu'l-Baha envisioned a Universal House of Justice that would have a
living
Guardian serving on it at all times, and as its Head.  In that formulation,
why
wouldn't the infallibility of the House come through the Guardian?"

Dear Ahang,

First off, the Guardian did not have to serve on it at all times. He could
send someone to do this on his behest. That person would certainly not share
in the Guardian's infalliblity and the House's decisions would not be any
less infallible because someone else chaired the meeting. Second, if
Abdu'l-Baha thought the infallibility of the House flowed from the Guardian
one would think He would have said that explicitly. There are Tablets from
Abdu'l-Baha where He speaks of the House's infallibility but makes no
mention of the Guardian whatsoever.

"In all the current discussions about the scope of the House, etc, folks
make the assumption that when "Universal House of Justice" (or words that
would refer to that exalted institution) are mentioned in the Writings, the
same institution is meant."

I think the assumption we are making is that Abdu'l-Baha is the authorized
interpreter of Baha'u'llah's word. And hence the Master's elucidations on
the operations of the House reflect Baha'u'llah's intentions.

  "Let me add a little spice to the discussion by
suggesting (and not that I personally believe that!!), what if that wasn't
the case?"

>From a historical standpoint one could reasonably argue that Abdu'l-Baha's
teachings did not always reflect Baha'u'llah's intentions but from a
theological standpoint I think that would be untenable in terms of the
Covenant.

In regards to a House with a sitting Guardian you write:

"Could such a House of Justice, for instance, legislate on, say, obligatory
prayers?  Of course.  Why?  Because the Guardian had a brought mandate to
interpret the Text, and he could have guided the deliberation of the House
on "acts of worship"."

That doesn't make much sense to me, Ahang. The Guardian doesn't *need* the
House to legislate where he can interpret. Yet he stated that the House, not
himself, would decide this issue. I think the more reasonable explanation is
that the clause in the Aqdas which says that acts of Worship should be done
in accordance with the Book, did not exclude the House from ruling on
'matters that are obscure' in this regard.

"So, to say, the Writings says such and such about
the "House" seems to be talking about apples and oranges."

I don't see a different House being talked about. I see Abdu'l-Baha did
stress two things which Baha'u'llah did not mention, the its being headed by
a Guardian and the second being its infallibility. Your argument is that the
two things are connected. I don't see that. Baha'u'lllah never talked
explicitly about the infallibility of the House but then He never stated
explicitly that Abdu'l-Baha was infallible, as we've discussed previously.
Infallibility is simply a theme which Abdu'l-Baha stresses a lot, probably
because He saw it as necessary to preserve authority after the passing of
Baha'u'llah.

warmest, Susan