Brent:
In like manner, though the subject of Paragraph 42 of the Aqdas is the wakf, the "endowments dedicated to charity," the contents have reference to the institution of the Guardianship, and to the all-important matter of the succession after the Manifestation.<<

Dear Brent,

I cannot see what the reference here to Guardianship is? Do you have the exact quote of Guardian or the House about K42?

Regarding K42, as far as I understand in Islamic Law, waqf is a permanent charitable endowment. A property when set aside for waqf is said to be owned by God in Islamic Law and is exempt from taxation and it cannot be sold. It is very similar to an earmarked fund for a given purpose. A property which has been set aside for waqf usually has its management team (naazir) which is usually the male descendants of the original founder. But if the family line of the naazir die out or the beneficiary for which the waqf was founded ceases to exist then the question is who gets the waqf and manages its income. In Ottoman Empire at the time of Baha'u'llah State could seize such properties.

I think K42 is answering the question of waqf when it has lost their beneficiaries. This verse does not say that all awqaaf automatically fall under Aghsan (or now the House of Justice).

The House of Justice in this verse may as well mean houses of justice, as the word in Arabic is bilaad which means lands or cities which has been translated "its authority in the world". So it may mean that the local spiritual assembly who has authority over that city control awqaaf of that city when beneficiaries ceased to exist.

That's all I understand about this K42 of the Most Holy Book. I cannot see any reference to Guardianship or He being infallible (no matter what it means). By saying this I am not saying that the Institution of Guardianship is a wrong institution, God forbids. I do believe in Master after Baha'u'llah and His interpretation of Baha'i Writings being infallible. Again I would like to emphasize that I am not undermining the authority of the Guardian by saying that I see no reference to Institution of Guardianship in K42.

Regards,
Firouz

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu