"I thought this too, until someone suggested to me that
the guidance of the first Guardian as laid down in
numerous letters could be seen as that there is still
a Guardian, and that the Universal House of Justice
consults with the Guardian when they consult his
letters."

Dear Janine,

I think the Guardian's interpretations continue to serve the function of the
Guardianship such that were the House to ignore them they would essentially
be 'mutilating' the Cause by divorcing it from the Guardianship. However,
the Will and Testament makes provisions for a continuing line of Guardians
by stating how they are to be selected, etc. That didn't happen because all
those who might have been eligible violated the Covenant. In other words, if
there isn't a continuing line of Guardians it was because of the sinfullness
of some of the believers, not any lack of ismat on Abdu'l-Baha's part.

warmest, Susan