No, but I think they are, at least in some instances, *applications* of the Guardian's interpretations to current events. In other words, some interpretations given by Shoghi Effendi may have been "pure" (given just for their own sakes) and others may have been "applied."

>  Is there a scientific way to distinguish between the two, pure and applied?

If the Guardian's discussion of, say, racism as the most challenging issue in the U.S., was a temporal application of his interpretive function, then it will lose its significance over time, and future "applied interpretations" will be impossible.

> It give the Baha'is an opportunity to interpret the Written Holy Text for themselves, and various personal interpretations would exist.  Kind of like the two camps of Baha'is, both regarded as valid by Baha'u'llah, one considering Baha'u'llah to be Divine and the other only a man.  The beauty of this is that, people holding these two views exist in 1 community, united, because due to the definition of 'Manifestation of God', these two views in fact point to the same reality, and from either perspective, the Will of God is handed down to the people.  I can see this applying to the above (somehow :-) ).  Unlike other organizations, differences of this nature caused them to split into two separa! te camps.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term' __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu