Gilberto wrote:

>It still seems really odd to think that even when being "civil" and
non->violent, that political behavior might still have other constraints put
on >it.

As I understand the Bahá'í teachings, politics are considered divisive and
as such to be avoided.  That does not mean one cannot vote, and it certainly
does not forbid social activism.  The concept of unity, and the avoidance of
divisiveness, suffuse all the Bahá'í teachings.

>Isn't that kind of sad? You see society crashing down and basically
>you just sit out until something new comes along?

Yes, that would be sad.  However, avoiding partisan politics does not leave
this as the only alternative.  We are enjoined to find positive and
constructive ways to change society.  And we are taught that the events we
see around us are part of a historical trend that must occur.

My original remark was that as someone who has been very active in political
and social causes in the past, I find it the teachings on obedience to
government and avoiding partisan politics to be challenging.  I apologize if
I was unclear about that.  As Sandra pointed out, obedience is not meant to
be mindless.  I pointed out that the definition of words like "just" and
"evil" can be problematic.  In my opinion, they can be so problematic that
an individual should think long and hard before committing civil
disobedience.  In other words, it is best to seek both advice and consensus
before acting, at least as a Bahá'í.  Nowhere did I state that one should
sit passively until "something new comes along."

David