On 8/5/05, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The Reconstructionalists are one modern group, but from the very beginning
of Christianity, there have been MANY different groups which in various
respects have looked at the commandments of the Old Testament and said, "hey
there is a lot of good stuff in here that we should still be doing".

Dear Gilberto,

And none of them went  as far as the Reconstructionalists.

" From the beginning there were Jewish Christians who believed the Torah was
still binding. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is one which had more
"Judaizing" tendancies than some others. Hebrew Israelites are another such
group. So are Seventh Day Adventists in their own way. Worlwide Church of
God. etc. "

But none of these attempted to enforce things like stoning adulterers.

Calvin who is well within what could be considered "normative" Christianity in your terms, at least he's not a big huge heretic, set up a theocratic government in Geneva where adulterers were given capital punishment.

I think, by the way, you are vastely overestimating the numbers of Christian Reconstructionalists.

I don't think I ever estimated the numbers of Christian Reconstructionists. But the stuff I've been reading has been suggesting that even though the movement itself is arguably contraversial, their ideas have still been spreading and influencing the larger evangelical world (although not necessarily while packaged as "Reconstructionism")

As Mark pointed out, Gary North went over to Christian
Identity. Fundamentalists have become increasingly politicized over the past
thirty years...

Yes, and that's part of what I'm talking about. Having a group saying they want Christian values reflected and enshrined in U.S. law (e.g. making gay marriage illegal, banning abortion, teaching intelligent design in school) and claiming that the Founding Fathers intended the US to be a Christian country, etc.  is a hop, skip and jump away from implementing actual OT law as the law of the land.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu