This is interesting, my Brewtus is of a similar age and I also just
encountered a similar problem: there is a 1-2 sec delay from the point I
raise the lever to the point the pump activates (and also only at the start
of the day).
Thanks for the link @Murray - that might solve this issue.

Best,

Dunja