Hi Dave,

A million years ago (circa 2010) Adam Coates (then grad student of
Prof Mike Jones at Oxford --
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/contacts/people/jonesmi) was looking at
this using ROACH1 (virtex5) transceivers to sample at ~3GHz. IIRC Adam
went into industry after his PhD, and I'm not sure where this work got
to or whether or not Mike continued to pursue this line of research.

It would appear you can get his PhD here --
https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:8ace9e68-d8e7-4f1d-b6c9-13853eecbd47

Decending even deeper into my memory, I believe Curtis Mead did a
similar thing to create samplers for a detector on an optical
telescope (and gave a great talk at the 2010 CfA CASPER workshop).
Edit: now I've found his thesis at
http://seti.harvard.edu/grad/cpdf/mead_thesis.pdf I see he used
standard LVDS inputs, not the MGTs.

Cheers