hi neil,

for a single frequency channel correlator (continuum correlator), an XF
architecture (lag correlator) is the way to go,
the number of antennas in your correlator will likely be limited by the
number of signals you can get into the FPGA.
(the correlator will be I/O bound, not compute bound, assuming you have a
large FPGA).

i haven't looked at the number of LVDS inputs available on a large FPGA
recently,
but i think for a ~1800 pin package,  there might be up to ~~512 LVDS pairs
(1024 pins).
if so, you can have 512 digitizers, which is 256 complex digitizers, which
is 128 antennas dual pol, or 256 antenna single pol.

as david hawkins suggested, could also use the high speed serdes on the
FPGA.
the new pricy FPGAs have serdes that can work at >100 Gbps.
and the larger pricy FPGAs have 32 of these serdes, which means you can
send 3.2 Tbits/sec into those FGPAs.
that data rate is 3200 real 1Gsps bit streams,  or 1600 complex streams at
1Gcomplexsamples/sec, or 800 antennas dual pol.
but it would take a lot of electronics to convert 100 1Gbit/sec signals
into a 100Gbit/sec signal -
the easiest way to convert 100 signals into a single 100Gsps signal would
be to use an FPGA,
and that would defeat your goal of using a single FPGA for your correlator.

best wishes,

dan

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 12:43 PM salmon.na via casper@lists.berkeley.edu <
casper@lists.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Dan,
>

> Yes, one antenna for one receiver, and there is only one frequency
> channel, and a single polarisation, so quite a simple configuration.
>

> A good idea to use differential inputs as single bit ADCs.
>

> So the FX correlator looks the better architecture.
>

> So are you saying the FPGA FX correlator would manage making the
> cross-correlations of 512 single bit channels at 1 GbpS, on say a single
> FPGA, Xilinx or Altera ?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Neil

https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/CAGHS_vFWXdUnAua1mOU4Tu1VdcaZxRo8jSODooXY-GHeoWmusA%40mail.gmail.com.