very slow and buggy.  I heard a story that to speed up disc access, MS put
FAT-manipulation code in the actual compiler and that occasionally
destroyed the FAT.

Sorry Stuff, ain't so.
If you had FAT corruption issues, perhaps you had SMARTDRV enabled with
write cacheing (which did occasionally mess up the FAT).