Got a Universal M4-30 on my 1989 C&C 34R.  It has glow plugs and an electric
fuel booster pump.  It needs the glow plugs energized for a full minute before
starting the engine when it's cold.  I wait even longer when it's the first
start of the season and the entire engine is cold.  I'm pretty sure that's
stated in the manual.  You can feel each of the cylinders where the glow plugs
are located, to check they are all working heating the cylinders.   Ours
usually starts on the first try if I have kept the glow plugs on long enough.

The electric booster pump if you have one, makes a ticking sound (like a bomb
timer) when we turn the key on.  When the pump went bad, we were still able to
start the engine and run her half speed, for hours until we fixed the bad
ground and got the electric pump running again.

An engine guy told me, "Rule of thumb is, don't try to start more than three
times with the water intake open, as water may flood the lift muffler and back
up into the engine."  I think that's too cautious but be careful.  You can try
starting the engine with the intake valve closed, and risk damaging the water
pump impellor, but they are cheap compared to other engine parts.  You can open
the valve once the engine starts.

Good luck.  Let us know what works.

Chuck S

> On 05/17/2024 10:18 PM EDT Todd Williams via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>

> Looking for some input on my non starting Universal / Westerbeke diesel 5416
> on my 1980 C& C 34. It was running great at the end of last year but no go
> from the start this year.
>
>  It turns over great but no sounds of combustion. Battery is brand new. Oil
> and transmission fluids are at proper levels and fresh. It sounds like the
> glow plugs are working because the blower changes pitch with the increased
> current draw. Fuel looks good, checked pickup for debris, changed fuel
> filter, bled lines. I did have some electrical work done at the wiring
> harness but I don’t think that would affect it.
>
>  I am thinking either I need to look at the injectors and injector pump or I
> need to do a compression test. I’ve read about both in online forums but
> haven’t had the “opportunity” to dig this far into engine troubles. Any input
> from the group on other diagnostic tests or possible sources of the issue?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> TODD
> Indigo Out We Go
> 1980 C&C 34
> Saco, ME
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and help
> me pay the associated bills. Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu

Thanks for your help.