Am 22.07.2012 12:03, schrieb Neil Jerram:
All of the details you've described sound to me like excellent and
compelling things to work on.

But your wider problem is that you're working in a vacuum, because
there's no reasonably widely used phone distribution that uses FSO and
that is also regularly and safely updated.  That means you have no users
for your incremental improvements.

Obviously there's SHR, but from what I see on the mailing lists it seems
to me that the development edge of SHR is a complete basket case:
constantly broken and regressing in very basic functionality.

I think you either need to change SHR's approach, or to find/create
another compelling distribution (perhaps around Aurora) that uses FSO;
otherwise all your planned improvements won't help anyone.

I'm sorry to be so negative and unconstructive here, but it seems clear
to me that SHR is your "elephant in the room", and I don't think you
should ignore that.

You find excellent words to describe the current state our efforts to have a completely open sourced mobile telephony stack. There is no real development on the upper layers. I tried to get into this for a long time (remember mickeyl and I started aurora back in 2011) but came to the point that I don't have the time to do the real big thing anymore. It's frustrating to have nothing you can really use with the software you wrote. But finally I came to the point that I have fun developing just FSO and get everything into shape so others can pick up. I indicated already some months ago that I don't want to focus on a specific device anymore but just FSO and get it available in a good and stable state where possible.

So if anyone has fun to pick up my work with FSO on a higher level just do. I will continue to develop the middleware in my spare free time and hope it's going into the right direction.

Any btw. it must no be everytime suitable for a device like a phone. I started implementing HFP HF as I like the idea to have my phone lying next to my laptop while working a get a indication when a phone call comes in on my laptop where I can then answer the call directly without putting my fingers on the phone.

regards,
Simon

--
Simon Busch - http://mm.gravedo.de/blog/