I posted two new versions, webrev.1 keeping the Trusted inner class:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dlong/8158168/webrev.1/

and webrev.2 with it removed:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dlong/8158168/webrev.2/

dl

On 3/17/17 5:58 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

I have the same concern. Can we fix the immediate problem in 9 and
integrate verification logic in 10?

OK, Tobias is suggesting having verification logic only inside the
intrinsics.  Are you suggesting removing that as well?

Yes and put them back in 10.

I'm OK with removing all the verification, but that won't reduce the
library changes much.  I could undo the renaming to Trusted.getChar, but
we would still have the bounds checks moved into StringUTF16.

I suggest to go with a point fix for 9: just add missing range checks.