On Wed, 15 May 2024 16:26:57 GMT, Chen Liang <li...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Per Minborg has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Switch to monomorphic StableValue and use lazy arrays
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/jdk/internal/lang/stable/StableValueImpl.java
> line 75:
>
>> 73:      */
>> 74:     @Stable
>> 75:     private int state;
>
> Can we change this to be a byte, so state and supplying fields can be packed
> together in 4 bytes in some layouts?

We had `byte` before but converted to `int` as the `byte` will get promoted to
an `int` anyhow in the code logic. However, one idea would be to go back to
using a `byte` again and also use a `byte` for the flag of computation
invocation. This would reduce the footprint for these two fields from 8 bytes
to 2 bytes.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18794#discussion_r1602800304