Shengjing Zhu <z...@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 10:53 PM Steve McIntyre <st...@einval.com> wrote:

>> So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a good
>> answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on upgrades (like
>> Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking change doesn't really
>> have an obvious place to be fixed.

>> Obviously we'll need to mention this in the release notes for
>> bookworm. Should we maybe talk about adding an upgrade helper tool?

> For upgrading, people already need to edit their source list to change
> the suite name, why would it hurt to add one more manual step to change
> the section name?

I think the difference is that if you don't update your sources.list to
point to the new suite, your system won't upgrade and so the problem will
be very obvious.  But if you currently have non-free configured but don't
add the new firmware section, everything will appear to work but you won't
get new firmware, so the problem may go unnoticed.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>