On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 09:16:10PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 07.03.24 um 21:07 schrieb Eric Valette:
> > On 07/03/2024 20:55, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> >
> > > unstable is unstable. Don't use it if you can't handle stuff like
> > > this. And yes, be it even for more days or however it takes.
> >

> > The usual mantra. However, if no one use unstable and debug it to make
> > it work correctly, maintainers will discover existing bug very late in
> > the process and they will impact more people.
>
> But not so much for dependency issues like this. Which is my sole point. In
> 99,9% of cases this won't even migrate to testing. And unstable won't be
> released - testing will.
>

> > You should be happy people debug code
>
> *debug code*, yes. debug *actual* (dependency) issues, yes.
>
> Insisting on (bogus) bug reports about dependency issues out of maintainer
> control which will "magically" be solved once the release team does the
> required bin-NMU: no.

One might even go so far as to say that this - uncovering problems not
foreseen by the people who planned (and put a lot of work into that)
the transition, then started it (and put a lot of work into that, too), and
are now working every day on analyzing the problems that pop up and
resolving them ASAP - so, yeah, this is the *whole point* of unstable.
Catching *all* of these problems and making sure none of the libraries that
might cause them ever migrates to testing - this is the whole point.

So yeah, thanks a lot to the drivers of this transition, to the Release Team,
and to DDs (porters and otherwise) who help with that! IMHO, it is going
even better than I expected :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  r...@ringlet.net r...@debian.org p...@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13