Russ Allbery wrote:
> Yes, perhaps it's time to switch to a different build system, although one
> of the reasons I've personally been putting this off is that I do a lot of
> feature probing for library APIs that have changed over time, and I'm not
> sure how one does that in the non-Autoconf build systems.  Meson's Porting
> from Autotools [1] page, for example, doesn't seem to address this use
> case at all.
>
> [1] https://mesonbuild.com/Porting-from-autotools.html

Have a look at the documentation for the meson "compiler" object [1]. There is a
lot of functionality in meson that has analogs in autoconf that isn't described
in the "Porting from Autotools" document.

[1] https://mesonbuild.com/Reference-manual_returned_compiler.html

--
Robert Edmonds
edmo...@debian.org