On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 12:03:48PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 02:31:47AM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > That's not mutually exclusive. When adding an additional git remote
> > and using gbp-import-orig's --upstream-vcs-tag you get the best of
> > both worlds.
> And this will error out if there are unexpected changes in the tarball?
> How will it be able to detect those?

Okay, I looked into what it does.  It just adds another parent to the
commit with the import of the tar.  It does nothing else with this
information.

So in the end you still need to manually review all the stuff that the
tarball contains extra to the git.  And for that I don't see that it
actually gives some helping hands and makes it easier.

So I really don't see how this makes the problem in hand any better.
Again the workload of review is on the person doing the job.  Aka we do
fragile manual work instead of possibly failing automatic work.

Bastian

--
Women professionals do tend to over-compensate.
                -- Dr. Elizabeth Dehaver, "Where No Man Has Gone Before",