On Mar 31, Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:

> Most of this is pregenerated documentation (primarily man pages generated
> from POD), but it also includes generated test data and other things.  The
> reason is similar: regenerating those files requires tools that may not be
> present on an older system (like a mess of random Perl modules) or, in the
> case of the man pages, may be old and thus produce significantly inferior
> output.
But we do not use older systems to build our packages, so this does not
matter.

Indeed, long ago I started building inn2 from the git tree, no more
tarballs...
I switched long ago all my packages from tar archives to the git
upstream tree. Not only this makes much easier to understand the changes
in a new release, but it also makes possible packaging upstream
snapshots.

> Just to note, though, this means that we lose the upstream signature in
> the archive.  The only place the upstream signature would then live is in
> Salsa.
Totally worth it!

--
ciao,