Quoting Russ Allbery (2024-04-17 19:53:06)
> Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk> writes:
> > Quoting Jonathan Dowland (2024-04-17 17:29:11)

> >> My Haskell contributions (which I did not enumerate) are tangential to
> >> the use of a monorepo. But it strikes me as an odd choice for you to
> >> describe them as examplary. Paired with you seeming to file me on "the
> >> opposing side", your mail reads to me as unnecessarily snarky.  Please
> >> do not CC me for listmail.
>
> > I can see why it might come across as snarky.  It was not intended that
> > way.
>
> > I just meant to write describe your contributions as examples, but I
> > realize now that with your emphasizing it that I wrongly described them
> > as extraordinary examples.
>
> I suspect (based on Jonas's domain) this is one of those subtle problems
> when English isn't your first language.  The English language is full of
> weird connotation traps.
>
> For anyone else who may not be aware of this subtle shade of meaning, an
> English dictionary will partly lie to you about the common meaning of
> "exemplary" (which I assume is what Jonas meant by "examplary").  Yes, it
> means "serving as an example," but it specifically means serving as an
> *ideal* example: something that should be held up as being particularly
> excellent or worthy of imitation.
>
> If you ask someone "could you elaborate on your exemplary contributions,"
> a native English speaker is going to assume you're being sarcastic about
> 90% of the time.  In common usage, that phrase usually carries a tone
> closer to "please do enlighten us about your amazing contributions" than
> what Jonas actually intended.
>
> I keep having to remind myself of this in Debian since many Debian
> contributors have *excellent* written English skills (certainly massively
> bettern than my language skills in any language other than English), so
> it's easy to fall into the trap of assuming that they're completely
> fluent, but English is full of problems like this that will trip up even
> highly advanced non-native speakers.

Thanks for elaboring, Russ.

To be fair, I _was_ upset (not with Jonathan, but) earlier in this
thread, which makes it harder to err on the side of a mistake when I
write something that can be read as being sarcastic.

Sorry, Jonathan, for being difficult to read here.

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones