On 21 November 2022 at 16:39, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Am Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 03:05:26PM +0100 schrieb Sebastian Ramacher:
| > On 2022-11-21 15:02:16 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
| > > Some of the BioConductor packages need new dependencies.
| > > I have pushed these to new queue and set the ITP bugs as
| > > blocker.
| >
| > As this is happening every r-bioc transition, could this be handled
| > before starting the transition the next time?

It could, resources and volunteers willing. BioConductor leads the upcoming
release as 'devel' just like we do. There is no reason to wait apart from
having to set up new processes.

I now also look behind a complete r-cran-* set of 20k packages for the two
Ubuntu LTS flavors (it's a longer story but it reuses RSPM / PPM packages
from RStudio / posit). For that effort, I just rebuilt the 240 BioConductors
pulled in from the CRAN package graph for both LTS variants. I got all that
done in a few hours on Saturday (after mulling over the problem and working
out a script to determine build order by number of r-bioc-* depends).

"Formal packaging" in Debian proper is more work, but there is no reason not
to run a test build in a container, or even upload to 'experiemental' a few
weeks prior to the (well telegraphed) BioConductor release. If someone wants
to run with this (and knows a little R) I would be happy to discuss my 'build
order' setup script (bare and hackish at it is).

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org