On 1/17/24 12:30, gene heskett wrote:
By LABELing the partitions uniquely, that problem so far as I can
see, is solved.

Okay.

So, are you confident that your motherboard ports, HBA ports, and SSD's
are all working correctly now?

The OOM death of the system was the xfce4 terminal apparently being
set for unlimited scrollback and that was eating the memory. Switching to Konsole with has the ability to control the scrollback
to 200 lines, and its taken all 32G's as .cache and 1536 1k blocks of
swap, and its working w/o any OOM actions I've detected.

Okay.

Xfce -> Terminal Emulator -> right click on screen -> Preferences ->
General -> Scrolling:

        Scrollback              200
        Unlimited scrollback    uncheck

Using tee(1) would allow you to both monitor progress and save standard output and/or standard error (via shell redirection).

A related issue is that lots of standard output can slow a program. Minimizing a terminal can help. Redirecting standard output to a file or to /dev/null can help, especially when done on the remote host while using ssh(1).

The best solution is to tell rsync(1) not to generate messages on standard output -- do not use --verbose, do not use --info, do not use --progress, etc.; use --quiet, etc..

David