On 1/17/24 22:44, gene heskett wrote:>> On 1/18/24 00:50, David Christensen wrote:
The migration took two passes because udev can't make up its alleged mind so I was finally forced to use the rescue mode to edit fstab to mount it by UUID and that worked, I've got /home on the copy right now.

Congratulations!  :-)

and I took the 60 G's of swap out too since I've never used more the 20G with any gfx program, so I figure 47G's on /dev/sda is enough.

1 GB swap works for me. When a memory leak gets out of control, I do not have to wait long for the lock up.

So now none of the raid is mounted, but the 30+ second lag when opening a write path is still there, so I was erroneously blaming the raid. So I've narrowed the problem

Good to know.

but w/o a good clue what to do next.

Find the needle in the haystack or do a fresh install. I prefer the latter, because I can estimate the effort and I am reasonably confident of the outcome.

One thing that bothers me is there is no way the installers parted shows partition names for non-raid disks. To me that is a serious bug. It appears from the help that it can LABEL a partition but can't read that LABEL.

When installing to UEFI/GPT, I am able to label partitions in the Debian Installer, the labels are visible in the installer, and the labels persist on disk after installation is complete.

parted when asked to print all does that just fine, but the | doesn't put it to less, so it scrolls off screen the top 60% of a parted's print all output at some fraction of C speed. Not exactly helpful. I have other things to do while I cogitate on what to do next.

The following works as expected on my machine:

2024-01-18 00:34:41 root@laalaa ~
# parted -l | less

Many thanks to all that helped.

YW.  :-)

If you use rsync(1), I suggest using some kind of integrity checking tool to verify that the source and destination file systems are identical.  I prefer BSD mtree(8):

I assume I'd have to remount the raid like to /raid?
Whew!  That's got more arguments than rsync...

The old /home RAID10 still has its metadata on disk. I would install the "mdadm" package, edit /etc/fstab, copy and rework the old /home line (new mount point, add option "ro"), create the mount point, and mount.

David