gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> writes:

> The OOM death of the system was the xfce4 terminal apparently being
> set for unlimited scrollback and that was eating the memory. Switching
> to Konsole with has the ability to control the scrollback to 200
> lines, and its taken all 32G's as .cache and 1536 1k blocks of swap,
> and its working w/o any OOM actions I've detected.

It does seem strange to me, even in MS-DOS era I was able to set a
terminal scrollback to 5000 lines without issue, when RAM was maybe 4 MB
and a DOS terminal program probably had access to way less than that. So
does rsync really generate gigabytes of verbose output? Or is
xfce-terminal storing the scrollback in a very inefficient way?