Jeremy, that's great. I marked the other bug as a duplicate, which it
is. This is a better, more thorough, more correctly-worded bug. I agree
that people can and should work on fixing a duplicate bug. That is a
separate question from which bug should be marked duplicate. This bug is
also correctly attributed to the part of Ubuntu that needs to be fixed
(Not Ubuntu at all, but GNOME).

** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 1721315
   On-screen keyboard shows up on first touch even when touch does not activate
a text-field

  onscreen keyboard appears whenever i touch touchscreen

  I'm in 17.10. Whenever I touch the touchscreen, the keyboard appears.
  It is disabled in System Preferences > Universal Access.  This didn't
  happen in any previous Ubuntus, including 17.04 GNOME, nor in Fedora,
  which is GNOME based.