Thanks for bringing this up Danny.

I guess the discussion came up due to CALCITE-2885 [1]. Looking back into
it, I am not sure that the intention there is to make the RelMetadataQuery
pluggable. We could possibly solve the performance problem without
extending the RelMetadataQuery. We have to look again into this case.

For more details regarding the existence of the two methods in
RelMetadataProvider have a look in CALCITE-604 [2]. More general for the
design of RelMetadataProvider you may find useful the description in [3].

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2885
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-604