It's the time of the year where we are nearing Calcite's graduation (birthday) on October 22! It's been a really busy year for Calcite and we've added quite a few committers to the project with a total of 44 committers on the project.

We have seen 3 releases so far for Calcite this year, with each release containing a significant amount of changes. More importantly, I think we maintained a more steady and predictable release cadence for Calcite this year. The project has also seen a big improvement in terms of reviewing pull requests as well as increased participation on our mailing lists. I think there is still work to be done in this area, but the efforts we have made to address this this year should be highly commended.

In terms of Avatica, we had 2 releases for Avatica itself and 1 release for Avatica Go. Compared to Calcite, Avatica does not seem to be as active in terms of contributors and reviews for pull requests. In the last board report, a board member mentioned that Avatica was not very discoverable [1]. I hope to see more active participation in Avatica in terms of contributing code and reviewing pull requests in the coming year and I would love to hear your thoughts on making Avatica more discoverable.

The project also saw members of the Calcite, Flink and Beam teams present a paper on the use of Calcite for streaming-SQL applications at SIGMOD 2019. At ApacheCon NA in September, there were 5 talks on Calcite. Props to those who presented talks and I'd love to see more talks at future ApacheCons and events.

In terms of the community, we have seen a lot of new contributors and participants on the list. I hardly see any question go unanswered and it's very reassuring to see queries being answered so quickly. I think our welcoming community and responsiveness is definitely a huge plus for us.

It's been a massive privilege to be able to serve as Calcite's PMC chair in 2019. It's also been a big learning experience for me and I am really lucky to be able to ask Julian and Michael for pointers when some of the ASF's processes weren't clearly documented. I am also extremely proud of having the opportunity to work with contributors who have shown great care and craftsmanship to the code they are working on, focusing on making sure code that makes it into the repository is well-thought-out and supple.

When Calcite graduated to a top level project in 2015, we agreed to rotate the PMC chair every 12 months. I want to use this as an opportunity to start some discussion about a new chair. I believe Stamatis Zampetakis is a good choice, if he is willing to accept. Stamatis has been a great contributor to the project. He has shown a lot of care and thought to the quality and state of the code and I feel these attributes would make him a great PMC chair.

To repeat questions from previous years:

1) What else are we doing well in the project?
2) What areas do we need to do better?

Please take some time to share your thoughts!

Francis

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f9cdf702507d3a55204d7f844b7eb6906bc4fe8cb373e3e2822e3ade@%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E