The mailing list didn't have such activity three years ago when I started
learning about Calcite. Also more advanced topics and questions are posted
which, although makes it harder for me to participate, it definitely says a
lot about how much the project has advanced on both the technical and
adoption aspects.

+1 for Stamatis for PMC chair. He's one of the most active, knowledgable
and friendliest committers I've come across.