Okay, back to the topic.

Perhaps we should update the code of conduct. It seems that a lot of the
unease here relates to the nature of our planned responses to conduct
infractions.

I can tell you how I see it, as one of the people behind the work that went
into our code of conduct.

There are two types of response:

1. Restorative justice

This is where we speak to the person who violated one of our community
standards. We tell them that what they did was not acceptable. Sometimes
this is enough. They apologise and things are fixed.

Sometimes they don't, and you need to work with them to help them
understand why it wasn't acceptable. Sometimes you need to work with the
person or people who were affected. Sometimes you need to undo the damage
that wad done.

This is laborious work. I should know. A good chunk of the time and energy
I put into CouchDB was precisely this sort of thing. I used to think of it
as "emotional tanking", if you're familiar the gaming definition of that
word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_(gaming)

2. Punitive justice

This is where the violation was so severe, or the person is so resistant to
change, that you have to take some sort of measure by force. This might be
the removal of someone's membership, removal from a PMC, revocation of
committer privileges, removal from a list, ban from an IRC channel,
whatever.

It should go without saying that this should always be the last step.

(In the past I have erred on the side of being too patient with people who
are clearly not willing to change. Keeping people like that around can
really damage a community.)

Anyway. This distinction between restorative justice and punitive justice
is just my own personal model. I can't say it's shared by the other people
behind the code of conduct. Though having worked with Joan now for many
years on CouchDB, I would be surprised if she didn't at least thin
something approximately similar.