This was somewhat covered (at a much higher level).  This falls into the
category of ‘association with permission’. It’s somewhere between
disassociation and what Jeep is doing (which is to determine if a problem
exists w/ the specific tribe.)

Each circumstance is unique. I looked through Jeep’s materials, and they have
no documentation that links them directly to the Cherokee nation. We do. With
such an explicit relationship, perception (of that relationship) is fairly
black and white. On the flip side, it does give us more steps/milestones if we
do define a problem.

I think what is challenging to communicate is the difference between the
Washington/Cleveland sports team cases, and Jeep/ASF.

Washington/Cleveland is cut and dry, because their mascots were a disparaging
term. (i.e. like Esk*mo is to the Inuit).

ASF/Jeep are using a tribe name, which w/o context has no connotation other
than an identifier. However, the usage and context of the name is where
perception comes in. Once we start doing things under the umbrella of the name,
there is an association or linkage. If the tribal nations are against what we
“do”, based on values of some tribes (at least the ones I share DNA with),
trying to “buy” the name may be considered extremely offensive.

It’s also worth considering that it is an ongoing risk. What is ok today might
not be tomorrow. It’s entirely possible that we take a direction that no longer
aligns with what the nations consider acceptable values.

I would love to see some form of positive relationship fostered that allows an
organization to create a respectful relationship (maybe us!). I personally find
that to be a more interesting direction than we appear to be headed globally.
(I suppose this is incredibly ironic when you consider that I’m proposing
social unification which is often considered to be the reciprocal of tribalism)