I think it's a good idea to make such a fund or simply make sure that
existing efforts (TAC, Outreachy engagement) have some deliberate and
conscious actions in this direction - knowing the past association - and
showing the respect and following the original mindset of people who
created the foundation.

Just one comment here - I stated my opinion in the member's discussions -
that's my personal view of course, that there is nothing to repair as there
is no damage and simply de-association of Apache name while also showing
the respect and engage community to actively work on de-associating is a
better way of handling the issue than any repair.

Using the word "reparation" here is certainly not the one I'd use. It might
be good will and sign of respect, but in no-way it should bring any
obligation on the ASF.

If I see "Association with permission" is extremely dangerous for the
foundation that worked 20 years on the brand being it's most valuable asset
(without the real piggy-backing on the Apache Tribe in order to build the
reputation). Just having "permission" from others on the important asset of
the ASF foundation brand depending on non-member decisions might also be
illegal from the foundation bylaws (I am not a lawyer and certainly do not
know much about US law). This would basically mean that we put the fate of
the foundation in the hands of non-members.

So while it would be great to show outgoing engagement from the members to
reach out with some efforts, this should not be seen as "reparation" or
"obligation". I think it is a very asymmetrical approach to think in those
terms.

It's one thing to react to concerns of people who feel one way and very
different to be "responsible for damage" (which reparation is basically
about).

J.