From: Bill Cole <billc...@apache.org>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <dev@community.apache.org>
Date: May 11, 2022 at 15:31:49
To: ComDev <dev@community.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: A way to keep the name

On 2022-05-11 at 14:56:13 UTC-0400 (Wed, 11 May 2022 14:56:13 -0400)
me <dev@community.apache.org>
is rumored to have said:

> The scenario w/ Jeep is the most synonymous to Apache. (We are named
> for a tribe, rather than a synonymous term or epithet). I’m side
> stepping the logo for the moment.
>
> The last words I could find on the subject (w/ a brief scan) were
> March of 2021
>
> - Chief Hoskins of the Cherokee Nation did request a name change from
> Jeep.
> - Jeep opened up talks, but they didn’t comply.

Back in the mists of time I worked for Chrysler (then parent of Jeep)
and there was briefly a kerfuffle over Jeep's "Cherokee" appropriation,
as it is an issue that comes up episodically and never is resolved. I
did not follow the public statements at the time, but the phrase that
stuck with me from internal communications was "pound sand." I'm a bit
surprised that they engaged further more recently, but times do change.

I absolutely do not think ASF should replicate that stance.

--
Bill Cole