Happy Friday/Saturday esteemed colleagues and collaborators!

I kicked off the first steps by reaching out to the legal team to understand
the risk/worst case scenario. I’m attempting to gain a better understanding to
the question:  “What if the choice is taken away from us, through litigation?”

My thought process is the following:

Irrespective of social climate, level of effort, etc. there is a worst case
scenario represented by the ever present risk. Before we embark on any journeys
of epic proportions for the greater good, it’s helpful to define the stakes and
understand our primary responsibilities: our community.

I think it’s a fair assumption that this will help level set conversations
going forward, as well as to provide us a next question: “Given the defined
risk, what is its magnitude?” (i.e. is it a 1 in a billion lightning strike, or
a 50/50 coin flip).

—

That said, I think there is a derivative of Owen’s statements we have to
consider.

Asking a question to parties who haven't considered that question inevitably
runs the risk of changing their perspective. If there is a gun to be jumped,
this is most likely it. If I can make a request of those involved thus far, can
you sleep on this and think about it? I think it’s something we need to
consider internally so that any outreach is approached with care.

It might be worth doing some internal research on Apache culture (nothing
exhaustive, but enough for us to understand tribal values) before performing
outreach (or in the extreme, from performing it altogether). At the very least
this can help us navigate away from areas that may induce conflict, as well as
to consider the wording of our inquiry.

Walter, you seem to have a decent hold on the social impact. Do you have a
resource you can reach out to? (Or is it something you’re willing to research
to compile some facts?)