Shay,

thanks for picking up this KIP. It's a pity that the discussion stalled for such a long time.

As expressed previously, I am happy with the name `markAsPartitioned()` and also believe it's ok to just document the impact and leave it to the user to do the right thing.

If we really get a lot of users that ask about it, because they did not do the right thing, we could still add something (eg, a reverse-mapper function) in a follow-up KIP. But we don't know if it's necessary; thus, making a small incremental step sounds like a good approach to me.

Let's see if others agree or not.

-Matthias