Hi Sophie and Matthias, thanks for your comments and replies.

1. Scope of change: KStreams only or KStreams/KTable
I took some time to digest your points, looking through how KStreams
triggers repartitions today. I noticed that `repartitionRequired`is a flag
in KStreamImpl etc and not in KTableImpl etc. When I look further, in the
case of KTable, instead of passing in a boolean flag, a repartition node `
TableRepartitionMapNode` is directly created. I went back and referenced
the two issue tickets KAFKA-10844 and KAFKA-4835, both requests were
focused on KStreams, i.e. not to change the partition why the input streams
are already correctly keyed. Is it possible that in the case of KTable,
users always intend to repartition (change key) when they call on
aggregate? -- (this was written before I saw Matthias's comment)

Overall, based on the tickets, I see the benefit of doing a contained
change focusing on KStreams, i.e. repartitionRequired, which would solve
the pain points nicely. If we ran into similar complaints/optimization
requests for KTable down the line, we can address them on top of this(let
me know if we have these requests already, I might just be negligent).

2. API: markAsPartitioned() vs config
If we go with the KStreams only scope, markAsPartition() is more
adequate, i.e. maps nicely to repartitionRequired. There is a list of
NamedOperations that may or may not trigger repartition based on its
context(KStreams or KTable) which would make the implementation more
confusing.

3. KIP documentation: Thanks for providing the links to previous KIPs. I
will be adding the three use cases and javadoc. I will also document the
risks when it relates to IQ and Join.

Best,
Shay