I agree that it could easily be misused. There is a few Jira tickets for cases when people want to "cancel" a repartition step. I would hope those tickets are linked to the KIP (if not, we should do this, and maybe even c&p those cases as motivation into the KIP itself)?

It's always a tricky question to what extend we want to guide users, and to what extend we need to give levers for advances case (and how to design those levers...) It's for sure a good idea to call out "use with case" in the JavaDocs for the new method.

-Matthias